Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, has been a trusted provider of experiential-based therapies for addiction and co-occurring disorders since 1972. Our Island of Hope program provides a transformative experience for adolescent males ages 13-17 who are struggling with substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health challenges.
What Is the Island of Hope Program?
Adolescent addiction rehab at Huntington Creek Recovery Center in northeastern Pennsylvania
The caring and compassionate staff at Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, understands that facing addiction during adolescence comes with a unique set of challenges. Our Island of Hope residential program offers comprehensive, personalized care to adolescent males ages 13-17 who have a primary substance use disorder diagnosis, but who might also be struggling with a co-occurring mental health challenge.
The teen boys who participate in our Island of Hope program to heal from a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health concern will benefit from the same evidence-based treatments and therapeutic interventions that we offer in our other residential programs. Island of Hope participants benefit from a thorough admissions process and receive a highly personalized care plan. They leave our facility with a detailed discharge plan with the resources they need to assist them in their recovery for years to come.
Who Is the Island of Hope Program For?
Who we treat in our adolescent residential addiction rehab program
The Island of Hope program at Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, welcomes adolescent males ages 13-17 who have a primary substance use disorder diagnosis, as well as those who have a co-occurring mental health challenge. We help teen boys heal from all types of substance use disorders, including:
- Opioid use disorder
- Cannabis use disorder
- Cocaine use disorder
- Benzodiazepine use disorder
- Methamphetamine use disorder
- Alcohol use disorder
The Island of Hope program also helps adolescent males heal from the symptoms of co-occurring mental health conditions, including:
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
If your teen boy is suffering from a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health challenge, the Island of Hope program is a safe, inclusive environment where he can start the recovery process. Our expert staff is highly experienced in helping adolescents find long-term healing from substance use disorders and coexisting mental health concerns.
Types of Treatment We Offer
Types of treatment and therapies in our substance abuse rehab program for adolescents
The Island of Hope program offers a holistic healing experience, combining mindfulness practices with the latest evidence-based solutions. Each teen boy who comes to us to heal from a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health concern will receive an individualized care plan that is developed based on his unique strengths, challenges, goals, and needs.
This program is typically a 28 day stay, however, the length of treatment depends on the client’s needs and progress. During that time, they may benefit from medically supervised detoxification services, medication management, individual therapy, group therapy, or family therapy. We also have a physician, physician assistant (PA), and nursing staff on hand to provide medical care if needed. Some of the other benefits they may experience include:
- 12-Step programming
- Contingency management
- SMART Recovery
- Biofeedback bed
- Art therapy
- Adventure therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
We also offer a variety of experiential therapies to help your teen boy care for all aspects of his health. Depending on his specific care plan, your child might also participate in:
- Ropes course
- Outside adventure trips
- Guided meditation
- Other outdoor projects
The Island of Hope program at our residential facility in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, provides care that focuses on the whole person. When your teen boy comes to us to heal from a substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health challenge, our staff will help him build a foundation for long-lasting health and wellness.
What Happens During a Typical Day?
What to expect during a day in our adolescent male addiction rehab program
Your child might feel nervous about his first days in the Island of Hope program at Huntington Creek Recovery Center, and that is expected and completely understandable. The kind and empathetic staff at our residential facility in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, does their utmost to help your teen feel welcome as he embarks on his recovery journey. Here is what a typical day in the program looks like:
- Participate in optional stretching exercises or cardio-based exercise class when he wakes up
- Hot breakfast from 8-9 a.m. on weekdays and 9-10 a.m. on weekends
- Break off into core clinical groups, during which he will work on his clinical projects according to his individual treatment plan
- Participate in various holistic or experiential activities throughout the week that focus on improving life skills and self-esteem, working as a team member, making healthy choices, and learning to experience happiness and fun without substances
- Lunch at noon, during which he can choose from a variety of healthy food options, and we can make special food accommodations for dietary, cultural, or religious needs
- He will have some brief time in his room after lunch
- He will resume his clinical and experiential programming at 1 p.m.
The Island of Hope program also combines the latest evidence-based clinical programming with ancient holistic practices. One unique aspect of this program is the Medicine Wheel, which our care team built on the idea of the Native American tradition of the same name. Each participant moves through the phases of the Medicine Wheel by accomplishing specific tasks that focus on insight, introspection, humility, and changes in behavior until they complete the Medicine Wheel. There are three phases in this approach:
- Hawk Level: This is the educational phase of treatment. Adolescents learn about addiction and apply this knowledge to their experiences. Services address the theme of honesty.
- Bear Level: This phase emphasizes emotional management and behavioral changes. Services at this level address the theme of openness.
- Wolf Level: This is the applied phase of treatment. Topics include relapse prevention skills, home contracts, peer group changes, and recovery plans. Services address the theme of willingness.
If you think your teen boy might benefit from the Island of Hope program at Huntington Creek Recovery Center, please contact us directly. A knowledgeable member of our staff is available to answer any questions you might have about how we can help your teen boy start to heal from a substance use disorder today.