Huntington Creek Recovery Center has been a trusted provider of experiential-based therapies for addiction and co-occurring disorders since 1972. Our continuing care program builds upon the skills that men and women develop while they are in residential treatment.
Preparing for Long-term Recovery
At Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Pennsylvania, we understand that successfully completing residential treatment is just one step along the path of lifelong recovery from substance abuse, chemical dependency, and certain co-occurring disorders. In order to achieve our goal of best preparing each person who heals with us to achieve and maintain long-term recovery, we place great emphasis on planning for the weeks, months, and years that will follow an individual’s time in our care.
Within the first few days following a patient’s admission into our program, we begin planning for his or her discharge. This process allows us to document the successes and setbacks that the individual experiences while in residential treatment, to identify strengths and areas of concern, and to list the professional referrals, community-based services, and other resources that will enable the individual to maintain and build upon the progress that he or she makes while in our care.
Our Fundamental Elements
As a part of the discharge planning process, members of a Huntington Creek Recovery Center patient’s treatment team will consult to determine the best environment for his or her recovery. We pay special attention to the barriers to the patient’s recovery from substance abuse and are careful to plan aftercare accordingly. Several factors are taken into consideration when planning for a patient’s continued success, including financial resources available to the patient, the stability of his or her home environment, his or her progress in treatment, legal concerns, the individual’s motivation for recovery, the need for follow-up medical care, and any co-occurring disorders that are present.
As indicated in the previous paragraphs, the process of planning for a patient’s continuing care is an individualized process that involves close tracking and assessment of a variety of personal factors. However, in general terms, the process involves three fundamental elements:
- Understanding the individual’s history, including the disorders with which he or she has struggled with and his or her treatment experiences
- Assessing the individual’s current health and wellbeing, including the progress that he or she has made while in treatment at our addiction rehab center
- Identifying the individual’s short- and long-term goals, including goals that he or she hopes to achieve while in treatment as well as academic, professional, or other personal goals that may depend upon or influence his or her continued healthy recovery
As is the case with all aspects of treatment at Huntington Creek Recovery Center, the Northeast’s premier addiction rehab center, the patient will be an active participant in the discharge planning process. Ideally, the patient’s family members will also play a role in this process, as the support of friends and family members can have a significant impact on whether or not a person will remain in recovery following the completion of a residential treatment experience.
Depending upon a careful analysis of the many personal factors discussed on this page, an individual’s discharge plan may contain referrals for the following services or types of support:
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP) – PHP can be an ideal option for individuals who can benefit from a highly structured level of care following their completion of residential treatment. PHP typically features full days of therapy on weekdays, with participants returning to their homes or to a supported living program at the end of the treatment day and on weekends.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP) – IOP is similar to PHP in that individuals receive therapy for a limited amount of time during the day and return to their home or other residence when not in treatment. As a less intensive level of care, IOP typically features fewer treatment hours per day and fewer treatment days per week. Some individuals transition from residential care directly to IOP, while others step down from residential treatment to PHP, and then move on to IOP.
- Traditional outpatient services – Common examples of traditional outpatient services include meeting for individual therapy or participating in group therapy on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis. If a patient had been seeing a counselor, therapist, or other professional on an outpatient basis prior to entering residential treatment at our addiction rehab center, and if the patient gave his or her permission, we can coordinate care with the referring professional to ensure a seamless transition back to the traditional outpatient level.
- Support groups – Groups such as Alcoholic Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, both of which are based upon the 12-Step recovery model, can be essential forms of ongoing support for men and women who have completed residential treatment at our addiction rehab center for a substance use disorder. Patients are introduced to the 12-Step model during their time at Huntington Creek Recovery Center, and we can identify 12-Step groups near their homes so that they can participate in a local group.
Please note that Huntington Creek Recovery Center does not offer care at the PHP, IOP, or traditional outpatient level. However, we understand the tremendous benefits that certain individuals can receive from participating in these levels of care following their successful completion of our residential program, and we are happy to provide referrals and otherwise connect our program alumni with the services that they need to meet their goals. At Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Pennsylvania, we are dedicated to ensuring that the men and women of the Northeast who are entrusted into our care receive the support that they need both during and after their time with us.
To learn more about discharge planning and continuing care, or for answers to any questions that you may have about any aspect of programming at our addiction rehab center, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We look forward to speaking with you and helping you determine if Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Pennsylvania is the perfect place for you or someone that you care about.