Struggling with addictions to drugs and alcohol can be devastating, and when a person is suffering from the effects of trauma, the path to recovery can seem even more challenging. But treatment is available, and recovery is possible. At Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, we offer programming options that are tailored specifically to meet the unique needs of adolescents and adults who are battling addiction concerns while also needing to address the way trauma has impacted them.
Why Get Treatment for Trauma & Addiction
Experiencing a trauma can change the course of a person’s life in so many ways, and the effects of trauma are different for each individual.
For some, it can be difficult to cope. One way they might find relief is by using drugs or alcohol to numb themselves of the emotions they experience as a result of the trauma. While using substances can provide relief, it is only temporary. And the more a person uses, the more damage they are ultimately doing to themselves physically, mentally, and emotionally.
At Huntington Creek Recovery Center in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, we recognize the ways in which drug and alcohol use can work as a means of coping, and we do not judge people for finding relief in that way. However, we also know the cost that can take on a person’s life, and we are dedicated to helping people overcome addictions and learn new coping skills.
About Our Trauma Program
The trauma-specific program at our addiction treatment center offers care for adolescents and adults age 14 and older. The services we offer in this program are tailored for people who are battling addictions and are also suffering from the effects of trauma, including symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Additionally, people who are struggling with other types of mental health concerns, like depression, anxiety, personality disorders, and mood disorders, can benefit from receiving treatment in this program.
The treatment team at Huntington Creek places a high importance on creating individualized treatment plans that guide the delivery of person-centered care. Each person who receives treatment in our trauma program participates in a thorough assessment before starting their care. During this assessment, our compassionate team members will ask you a series of questions so that they can best understand the challenges you are facing. This will allow us to make sure that we are able to provide treatment that will best meet your needs.
While receiving treatment in the trauma program at our addiction treatment center, clients may benefit from the following:
- Detox services: When a client comes to us for treatment in a state of withdrawal from drugs or alcohol, we are able to provide on-site medical detoxification services. The amount of time a person spends in detox is determined based on their needs, but they can participate in therapeutic programming throughout the process if they’re able to.
- Medical care: If a client has medical concerns, our nursing staff and medical providers can offer care as needed. We evaluate clients at the time of admission, and we monitor them in our detox program daily. Any additional medical care is provided on an as-needed basis.
- Medication management services: Our nursing staff can provide medication management services for clients while they are in our trauma program if needed.
- Individual therapy: Counselors in the trauma program at our addiction treatment center provide individual therapy sessions weekly for clients during their time in treatment. These sessions occur one-on-one with the client and their therapist in a confidential setting.
- Group therapy: Group therapy is the primary method of treatment we use in our trauma program, with sessions offered six hours a day. These sessions may be led by primary counselors, case managers, behavioral health administrators, the clinical director, the clinical manager, or the manager of client support. Group therapy sessions can include psychoeducational lectures, skills-building workshops, and small group discussions. During group sessions, you may discuss a variety of topics, such as relapse prevention, developing healthy coping skills, and aftercare planning.
- Experiential therapies: Clients in the trauma program at our addiction treatment center may participate in experiential therapies like nature walks and high and low ropes courses. Having an opportunity to engage in these therapies provides a break from the traditional therapeutic setting and allows clients the freedom to be outside and enjoy recreational and leisure time.
All aspects of treatment in the trauma program at our addiction treatment center are customized to meet the needs of the adolescents and adults who seek our care. Treatment teams work closely with clients to make adjustments to their treatment plans when necessary.
Why Choose Our Addiction Treatment Center
At Huntington Creek Recovery Center, we don’t just provide treatment that focuses on the symptoms of disorders; instead, we focus on the person who is suffering from those symptoms. Our team uses evidence-based treatment to make sure that our clients have the best chance at achieving recovery.
All our team members have attended clinical trauma trainings, and they are all trained in Seeking Safety, which is a form of therapy that is designed specifically for people who have experienced trauma, have PTSD, and are struggling with substance abuse concerns. Having the opportunity to participate in these trainings has given our team insight into the unique ways people who have suffered traumas may experience the treatment process, which can allow our team to most successfully help them.
If you believe that you or someone you know could benefit from receiving trauma-specific treatment, we hope that you will contact us. Our team is ready to answer any questions you may have so that you can make the best decision for yourself or your loved one.